Many years ago, about 21 years ago, I came to Canada with my mom and brother. My dad was already here, waiting for us. He had made sure to set up everything here, so that when we got here it was not that hard on us. We had a house and a car, and we were so happy. Poland was quite different. Certainly no house, no car.
I became a Canadian 20 years ago. I love this country. Everything about it! I can get into how much I love the East and the West, and Toronto, and all that's in between. How much I love the freedom that we enjoy. How much I love the endless possibilities that Canada offers. Or that we tend to gravitate towards peace, not war, and guns. I love Canada since it's so beautiful. So beautiful. Or that in Toronto I can get authentic Thai, Japanese, and Indian food within a walking distance of one another. I love that we encourage diversity, but at the same time were so patriotic. I love so many things about Canada.
But the fact is that I owe my life to this country. What would have been of my life in Poland I do not know, but statistically I would not be alive any more. I got great care here, at Toronto's Sick Children's Hospital until I was 18. And I got it without ever seeing one bill. In fact Sick Kids often takes kids from all over the world when they have no more hope, and provides free care, and saves lives. There are so many of those stories. I am so proud to live in a country where we value life and care over the all mighty dollar. And even though people complain about the system all the time. About the fact that people do take advantage of it, and that there is waste within the system, I love that as a country we have decided to choose life, choose hope, and choose love, and providing medicical carefor all!! I'm sure many people would rather a private system, but I think most Canadians are proud of the country that we are, and what we can do when we pool together our funds and make things happen.
So on the days that I complain about clinic, and this and that (and may be I've just had enough of CF more than the system, may be I'm just tired of being sick all the time for all these years) I try to think about the day that I came to Canada. The first time we went to the CF clinic at Sick Kids, and the care that we got. How quickly we were able to start me on all those wonderful meds that changed my life so dramatically. I remember my mom and I getting all those meds, without what we had to endure in Poland, and it was amazing.
Now that I near transplant, I think the same thing. How lucky I am, to have a system in place that will work to save my life, no matter what. The fact is, Canada is one of the only places in the world with such a premier facility, that does it all for free. I know, I know, it's not free, we pay more taxes than most places in the world, but you know what I mean. When it comes down to it, I am glad that those taxes are taken away. They provide me with the insurance to know that if Scarlett ever needs anything medically, we will find what we need and we will not have to pay for it. Since all Canadians pay into it every day.
That is why I love Canada. There are things I don't like about it.....things that I love the States for more, or many other countries (so don't get angry at me people!!), but this is my Canada Day post, so I will say only the beautiful things.
Canada, your Candians love you!!
My New Treatment: O to the 2
9 years ago


6 comments:
Happy Canada Day to you! I did not know you were born in Poland. Thanks for sharing!
Natalie, thanks for providing a different perspective. Your comments were very similar to those of my husband. I completely understand what you mean and where you are coming from, but I decided after Myles died that I would attempt to enjoy every moment of a subsequent pregnancy rather than living every moment in fear. I was fearful for my entire pregnancy (all 26wks of it) that something bad would happen and it did, but worrying about it didn't make me any less devastated. It actually made me angry that I didn't enjoy it more while it lasted. So, this is why I am trying to be happy with each small step forward and to bask in it while it lasts (even if it only lasts a few weeks).
I do think that my friend wants to protect me in case something bad happens, which is likely why she said that, but it still made me feel bad. I just wish that I could be ingnorantly blissful like most women when they are expecting, so I guess I'm venting my anger (granted maybe inappropriately towards my friend). I just wanted to thank you for reminding me of this and thanks for being hopeful with me!
Oh and under normal circumstances I wouldn't be telling people that we are expecting this early, but when your cousin is carrying the baby it's kind of hard for family and close friends not to know. ;) I am most certainly not telling colleagues, neighbors, etc.. I won't be telling anyone outside of my close circle until we are into the 2nd tri.
Sorry to hijack your blog and post this here, but you don't have an email address on your blog.
Thank you for sharing a clear, wonderful perspective on health care and its affect on a real person - a real you!
Niki,
You know what I wrote came from a good place! I hope you know that!!
I agree that worry will get you no where, and hope gets you where you want to go!! For sure.
I remember when we were excited at 4 weeks with our surrogate too, and those comments bothered me as well! I just wanted to remind you that most people mean well. I have trouble remembering that myself sometimes.
xoxo
Thanks for the response Natalie! I know you were coming from a good place and that you were just reminding me that not everyone comes from my frame of mind. Thanks again for the message! <3
BTW ... it won't be long now before you are meeting your little one! :) You must be so very excited?!
Happy Canada Day!
Post a Comment