Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Another clinic another vaccine

Another clinic today. Lung function is stable, 24% (0.77L) Saturation was quite good, but that's up and down between 92-95% on the 1L of oxygen. Aside from that I was there mostly for my vaccines. I got my second TwinRex, and my final chicken pox. So, all I have is my final TwinRex in 2 weeks, and wait a month from today, and I can be listed. Meaning the listing should happen on or around July 28th. Getting closer. We also arranged that I will be desensitized to Mero on July 6th, so that I don't have to do it when Scarlett arrives. Right now I am on an IV antibiotic that has officially run out, world wide, so they have to switch me. My hospital has a supply for about another month, and then that's it. Scary isn't it? Thank goodness that I can use another one. It does mean 2 days in the hospital, and that's why I want to do it as soon as possible, as to not miss Scarlett time.

On another much better and much worthier note, our little Scarlett will be here in 3 weeks exactly. 3 weeks from today. 21 days.

I was thinking about her today, what kind of a world she's going to be born into. What a world, what a time. A world that has a African American President. A world that is developing at an incredible rate. New technologies, new medicine, new knowledge. And though I have heard people say that they would not want to bring children into this world right now, I disagree. There are always problems. Always things to fix and make better. There is always suffering, and hunger, and war. But there is also progress, and think about the progress that humanity is making and I think it's bigger than the pessimism that it breeds.

Scarlett will come into the world and be exposed to such amazing things, and that's progress. She will think that anyone really can be president, that's just not something we say, it's something that is. She will come into a world that is starting to take responsibility for the environment, especially since her own daddy is doing such great things to change how we view energy and sustainability. Scarlett will be free as a woman to go to school, to be anything that she wants to be. She will be free to marry whom she wants, and practice and believe what she wants. How can that not be progress? Why would anyone not want a child to experience all that this world has become? It may not be perfect, nothing ever is, but her generation will do even more than the ones before her. I can't wait to see what she does.

It amazes me that she will be born when Michael Jackson will be only someone that once lived, and once created great music! I find that hard to believe. I guess that's the continuation of life, people are born, people live, and people die. I cannot believe that my daughter is about to be born. What a trip. Her long and wonderful life is about to begin, and I am privileged enough to be her mom, and Martin her dad. It's just the coolest thing I could ever imagine. Perhaps somewhere in the same league as being near death and getting someone elses lungs to not only save your life, but also allow you to continue the joys that you would have never otherwise been able to enjoy. Both miracles, and both I am thankful for.

21 days.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

So true about our world today! I am so happy that you are going to be finishing up your last vaccine soon! I can't wait for the list day! But, I also really can't wait for the day that will happen in 3 short weeks! xoxo

Cystic Gal said...

I love your blog. What is MERO and why do you need to be desensitized? What does that mean?
Do you know anywhere that I can find a list of all of the pre-transplant "listing" things that people have to do?

Thanks!
CG

Wewurtskihit said...

People ALWAYS say they dont want to bring a child into THIS world. Well - not only are those people just scared to raise a child and that is their excuse but really, what world would they want a child to bring into - this one is the only one we have!! (unless they are Sliders!!)

wow - 21 days - WOWOWOWOW!!!!!!

Natalia Ritchie said...

Cystic Gal,

Meroperum is an IV antibiotic that I often use. Since I have so many allergies to antibtiotics that have begun as a result to using them so much over the last year, they do something called desensitization to make sure that my body tolerates it. It's an 8 hour procedure, where they administed a little of the medication every few minutes over an 8 hour period (super boring) and allow your body to get used to it. It's a pain, but uaually means that you can use a medication that you have an allergy to.
As for the list of all the things that you need to do for tx, I can scan and email that to you! I am not sure where you can find it online. But I would recomend doing the vaccines ahead of time. There is no reason why not?! I would have been listed 1 month ago if I knew about the chicken pox vaccines, and HepB vaccine. If you have had chicken pox, it's not a problem.

Let me know if you want some more specific answers to these questions! Thanks for reading!!

xoxo

Sanda said...

3 weeks!!! So exciting - I can't wait to "meet" her!!!