Saturday, November 7, 2009

Hard Days

Starting a post is hard when I have not written for a bit. I feel like saying I'm sorry for not writing more often, but the past week or so have been a blur for me in many ways. I have been dealing with more pain and more panic attacks. Just when it seemed that things were getting better, I would experience something else. A thought or a conversation that would trigger an attack and my inability to breathe.

After that original attack on Friday, things seemed more stable, though the presence of small attacks were there all day. Throughout the week things got much better, and then finally something set off another pain attack and another panic attack would set me back all those days I moved forward. These days have really worn on me. I can't say that going through this has been expected in any way by either my family or by myself. Along with the on and off bleeding, we have been in real disbelief with which how much we have had to cope. The last time I had severe bleeding was 2 nights ago, and it was much more than usual. This time my haemoglobin was effected the doctor said, and the effort of coughing up the blood was really hard on me. I was choking on the blood and had to leave my Bi-Pap in between the cough ups, to help me get through it all. By the time I had cleared all the blood, I was so tired that they gave me something for the terrible pain I had. I slept for most of the day.

Due to the blood I was unable to get my Tobra and Pulmazyme as they are irritants and would likely make me bleed from my lungs again. This was really hard for me to do. Those drugs allow me to breathe somewhat! When the blood totally stopped on Wednesday, my friend Melissa was helping out that night by staying the night at the hospital with me. She's amazing, Taking the time out of her life and spending midnight to 6am by my side. The doctors really want this as I am often sedated and need more help. Anyhow, Melissa arrived with her boyfriend (he just wanted to pop in and say hi to me), and at that moment, for no reason I began to once again cough up tons of blood. Her poor boyfriend, who's never been around CF before got quite the show!! But he hugged me and was amazing. He's a good friend of ours. That was Wednesday, with a few hurdles that night. Thursday, no blood, lots of pain killers due to lots of pain. Friday, more blood, controlled pain through long acting and short acting pain killers. Ups and downs. Finally I had had enough and took an Activan to sleep. I needed a break! So I slept 16 hours.

Friday evening before everyone went home, my doctor stopped by my room before she went home to speak to me. She was visibly upset when she spoke to me. I was sleeping when she came in. Martin was with me, I was on my Bi-Pap. I opened my eyes. She told me that it was going to get better, that we were just going to have to get past this. Whatever this was. These attacks were just panic attacks, and were not a reflection of what my body was doing right now. The fact was I had just gained weight due to the Lipids. My white count was down, and the bleeding seems to be over with. Panic attacks are common in this situation she said, so close being able to breathe, but not being able to. But we will get through it together she said and I believe her. I do. As she walked out the door she turned filled with emotion said "I will not let anything happen to you" Dr. S is another one of my favourite people here.

Since I have been very immobile to do anything in my condition, I have been able to do a lot of exercises in bed as well as a new physio therapy. I will ask what exactly it's called when I see my physiotherapist tomorrow. It focuses mostly on massage and relaxation to allow me to move as many secretions as possible. It has really been working, especially since E came in on her weekend on her days off. I really do have an amazing team that will do so much to help me get stronger and past these tough moments. I just adore E, she is unbelievable and has done so much for me during the past few weeks. When I have one of these attacks E is one of the people that can help me breathe.

The weekend was overall better than the week. Last night my mom stayed with me. It went pretty well. I am a lot stronger and feeling like perhaps this could be the end of the attacks. We certainy hope so. They have taken a toll in my treatments and even in my overall CF care. This is why I really want to move forward from this. It has been just so hard on us. The stress has been too much. We are now hoping that things stay more stable, and of course that this call comes.

Below is a really really cute Scarlett video! I thought it would put a smile on your face....since it really put a smile on my face!!

12 comments:

Taryn said...

Natalia,
I'm so sorry you are going through this. You don't know me, but I read your story in The Star and have been following it ever since on your website. I have posted before. I also have some medical obstacles that I am trying to overcome and I know what you are going through with the anxiety attacks. It is to difficult for both your body and your mind. From what I hear and know of St. Mike's I know you have a great team and they will watch you very closely. You are always in my thoughts and prayers and I worry when I don't hear from you for a few days, but at the same time, I know you are doing what you need to to be able to stay strong and keep yourself healthy. Stay strong!
Taryn

Wewurtskihit said...

Nat...

who cares if you dont write 4000 words each day! Just so long as you let us know that you are OK without letting too much time pass by i am sure we can all live with 4words: I am OK everyone!

xox
mark

OceanDesert said...

Natalia, I had a few hemoptysis b/f my transplant as well, and found each one of them terrifying. One bleed was so severe, they did an embolization. Just wondering if that is an option to help stop any of the bleeding? I know you are in the most excellent of hands and I picture you every day getting that call!!! You are one strong, cyster.

Hugs!!!
... and the video...wow, simply precious!!!

Poppy said...

Glad to hear from you, but sorry to hear you're having such a rough time.

Thinking of you always, praying for you non stop.

Hugs...

Michal Ann said...

Scarlett is darling..look at her little hands grasping each other.

I surely hope you will have a more restful period. Thank you so much for all the information about your health and the wonderful team that surrounds you. You are loved far and wide!

"May God our Father shower you with blessings and fill you with His great peace." Colossians 1:2b

Kristin said...

Natalia,

I am praying for you and your family and praying also that God provides your lungs soon!

Sarah Andrews said...

It really sounds like you are in the best care right now Nat. It's such a relief to me to know that you have such a special team of people helping you along on the wait for your lungs.

Melissa is a very special person and I am so glad that you guys have each other. Special friends like that are super hard to find.

Sending you hugs and love. I hope with everything tha I am that today is THE day.

oxox

Heidi said...

Praying for you my friend. Love ya!

Piper said...

Natalia, I just want to say that you are so strong and amazing. I have been recently struggling with panic attacks as well (they started for me over the summer and it took a while for me to get them under control -- I still use ativan) so I know how scary it is to deal with the new anxiety that comes with not being able to breathe! Know that I'm sending you lots of good thoughts and healthy vibes, and I KNOW you'll come through all of this and be all the more ready to receive your perfect new lungs!

Love your blog, by the way. I would love to link to it from mine if you're okay with that.

Piper (A Matter of Life and Breath)

Anonymous said...

Natalia,

I was introduced to your story through the article in The Star and immediately felt a connection to you and your family. My sister underwent a double lung transplant at Sick Kids just over a year ago, and reading your vivid account launched me back to our own dark days at her bedside in the weeks leading up to transplant. Our family is all too familiar with the uncertainty and agony that comes along with the wait. Keep pressing on, because the light at the end of the tunnel is bright and promising. My beautiful sister, who was attached to an artificial lung while waiting, is now playing soccer again and sprinting her way to silver medals in the World Transplant Games. Soon enough you too will be chasing your precious daughter as she learns to run. I wish your family the very best as you continue on this journey of a lifetime.

Heather said...

Tough week. I hope those panic attacks are over with. Getting some sleep and having lots of support around you will continue to do you good I'm sure. The Scarlett video was so fabulous. In her facial expressions I imagine she is composing an email to you!

Susan said...

Dear Natalia,
Your daughter is adorable!
You have some wonderful photography of her on your site.
I wish I knew what to say that would magically make you better. I believe you will conquer this, as you have an incredible spirit.
I hope you can overcome these panic attacks & get some rest.
Stay positive & visualize a healthy body,
Susan