Sunday, November 22, 2009

11:59 Of The 11th Hour

Hi Everyone,

At no time was hope ever completely lost but I must admit things did reach a stage for Natalia and the decline of her health in the last few days (CO2 levels came down w/ the Novalung but getting enough oxygen into her blood was starting to prove an insurmountable challenge plus she was going septic) that makes writing the following 3 words a rather surreal and hard-to-believe experience:

NATALIA GOT LUNGS!!!

Yes....you read it correctly....

NATALIA GOT LUNGS!!!

After a successful transplant she is back in the ICU where she is stabilized and doing well considering the battle she has been through.

There was some initial concern about post-operative blood loss but that is being controlled, her blood pressure has become normal again, her C02 levels are currently 39 vs 120+, she is now receiving 40% oxygen on a ventilator vs. 100%, her oxygen saturation is 98, her temperature is up at 38.3 degrees C but white blood cell count is down to 13 (which suggests her immune system isn’t creating white blood cells to fight against her new organs). Her O type lungs are healthy and working.

Apparently Natalia will likely be kept completely sedated for several more days and it’s unlikely that she will be coming off the ventilator for the next 2 weeks or so (when she does come off it will be done in stages) because she is currently too weak to breathe on her own.

How close things came for Natalia is hard to fathom and harder to convey.

It has been discussed and agreed by Martin and family that the timing was quite literally a miracle.

To give you a sense of how close things were, when I spoke with Martin less than an hour before the call came out-of-the-blue he was literally at his office preparing his last will and testament and putting his business affairs in order as a precautionary measure in preparation for the possibility and hope of going into surgery as a live donor to try and save her life.

Indeed, Martin, John and Chris were fully and equally prepared to hear the results of a meeting with doctors scheduled for yesterday afternoon that either A) Natalia was no longer a candidate for any form of transplant due to her deterioration or, in their hope and estimation more likely B) the living donor option would be moving forward and likely moving forward almost immediately with 2 of the 3 of them before it was deemed too late to be viable, her candidacy removed, and all options and hope lost.

And then, the lungs came.

During what must be a profound period of mourning for another family right now, the ultimate gift was bestowed upon Natalia. The most generous gift a human could ever possibly receive has been provided by complete strangers and the gratitude of Natalia’s family cannot be expressed in words.

There’s actually quite a lot about the last while that can’t really be expressed in words.

Natalia’s journey - her battle, her will, her spirit, her determination, the love she has for her family and the love her family has for her - defies measurement and defies description.

It's a story that couldn't have had many more twists, many more turns; any more ups, any more downs - and any more at stake.

Martin and family are doing really well. They’ve been on the rollercoaster ride of rollercoaster rides as you know, and currently have what I think is a sense of cautious relief with elements of residual disbelief. The reality and extent of the recent course of events hasn't had a chance to settle in for them yet, plus they are fully aware of the fact that Natalia is still in a fragile and vulnerable state. So they’re optimistically realistic or realistically optimistic, one of the two.

Natalia's battle has been one of unbelievable proportions where human will, science and the skill of incredible doctors and medical staff all came together to beat what was quickly becoming a certain path - but as she sleeps and rests and recovers right now she is not out of the danger zone yet.

But she is on the other side now. A new battle has begun. And also another chapter.

A humble and continued thank you on behalf of Natalia and her family for the concern, thoughts, love, prayers and support of all of you, and to the donor and donor family who gave so much.

We’ll continue to keep you posted as things progress for Natalia. There will be more obstacles. But there will also be more victories.

And Natalia is a giant leap closer to that walk in the park.

Myles

27 comments:

Taryn said...

Myles,
Thank you so much for the update. I"m so glad that she has come through the surgery and doing so well. As you said this is like a miracle. She was on the edge and she came back.
This just goes to show both the family's famith in her and her strength and will to live. It's sad to think that another family had to go through such a difficult time, but they have given the ultimate gift to all of you. They have given you back Natalia and Scarlett a Mommy who can now take her for walks in the park and bounce her on her knee without getting short of breath.
I know that the next little while is going to be uncertain at times, but she has a new lease on life that I know she will live as fully as she can and suck up every moment that she can.
I know for you guys that this has been a rollercoaster ride.
Congratulations on this milestone and I will continue to keep Natalia and her "team" in my thoughts and prayers. An angel was watching over her.

Julie said...

What joyous news. You have all been in my thoughts, and I was hoping that this wonderful news would come soon. Your story has touched other people so profoundly... I have spoken to my own family about Natalia's wait for a lung transplant and have let them know my own decision many years ago to be a donor if anything were ever to happen to me. I hope that they will make similar decisions themselves and will tell others about Natalia's story.

I hope she continues to recuperate and improve over the coming weeks.

Unknown said...

Continued prayers and good wishes. More successes to come for sure.

OceanDesert said...

Well said. Thank you for the update.

We know the sensitive time after tx, and we are picturing Natalia getting stronger every day. When I ran today, I kept thinking of her and sending her my strength.

We will definitely be giving our thanks (esp this week with Thanksgiving in the US!) to the donor and family, the staff and doctors taking care of Natalia, and this wonderful Universe that makes these miracles happen.

Hugs, hugs, hugs.

Your cyster, Sara

Kellee said...

Thank you so much for the update! I have been worried sick!
I am so relieved to hear all the good news. My thoughts and prayers will continue to flow in yall direction! =)

Heidi said...

What wonderful news! Natalia, know that while you are resting and regaining your strength, we are sending you much love and many prayers! Love ya!! Praying daily and sending you tons of strength to start breathing on you own and get off of that vent once and for all!

Jess said...

Natalia, I am so glad to hear that you have gotten the lungs you so needed. You have a beautiful family and an amazing husband-one willing to do anything for you. I hope that you will get to enjoy the beauty in life for so many years to come. Best wishes,
Jessica

Debbie said...

Thank you for posting this wonderful news. While there are still struggles ahead, it is wonderful to think how much easier they will be to face when it is so much easier for Natalia to breathe. All my best to her and all of her family.
Hugs, Debbie A.

Unknown said...

Praise the Lord! what great news! Continued prayers for a speedy, healthy recovery and future ahead, love & thoughts to all x

Anonymous said...

As soon as you are up and about you will be shocked at how easy it is to breath! I think that was the most amazing thing for me after I got my lungs. If you ever want to talk to someone who has been there send me a email at tarahaddix@yahoo.com

I will be 18 years post double lung transplant on Christmas Eve of this year. And I am doing great! I will be praying for you!

Heather said...

What wonderful news. I only learned of Natalia's story on Saturday. I will continue to pray for Natalia & her family as well as the doctors and nurses treating her.
Love & prayers.
Heather

Lindsay Bishop said...

I think it is no coincidence that Natalia spoke of life's miracles before tx in this blog. There is no question in my mind they she will continue to show us what it means to have great hope.

Keep on going Nat, you're doing great!

Wewurtskihit said...

WTG NAT!!! (and Martin, Scarlett and the rest of the family!!) Cant WAIT TO COME TO THE PARTY in TO!! A promise is a promise!!!

thx for the update Myles!!! awesome job!!!

Unknown said...

I'm smile ear-to-ear!!!!

Ronnie

Poppy said...

How appropriate that all this is happening at a time of Thanksgiving for many of us. I am thankful beyond belief that at the 11th hour God saw fit to pull Natalia back from the precipice and new lungs became available to her.

I continue to pray for a picture perfect recovery period for Natalia. In my minds eye I see her, Martin's arm around her shoulders and baby Scarlett in her arms. That will be a most wonderful day.

It will come. I just know it.

Hugs to all. Prayers to all.

Congrats Natalia!! You did it. You hung on and victory will be yours. Bless you.

Anonymous said...

I read a story in the star and wondered it if was Natalia. My heart stopped as I went to the blog to check. I am so so happy to hear this. I will keep her and her family in my thoughts and prayers.

Nadine said...

Myles - thanks so much for the updates. It feels so good to know that this miracle has happened and Natalia has lungs.
Will continue to keep her in my prayers.

Sarah Andrews said...

Nat - I am so happy for you! You are the miracle my dear - your strength, courage, drive and resilience brought you to those lungs. You said that you knew that you would get them and you were SO right. Keep on fighting my dear - it's going to get easier now. My thoughts and prayers are always with you and I cannot wait to hear all about what it's like to breathe . We love you very much!

Myles - thanks you for the details. Such a relief to know where she's at.

Sending love to Nat's family. You all are such an amazing team and an inspiration.

Unknown said...

http://www.atv.ca/home/news_70739.aspx

This may amaze you

shannysnewlungs said...

It is a miracle, really the timing is unbelievable. I have been praying for her every night hoping all is going well. She has a will therefore she will recover and breath on her own again soon.
Take care
Shannon (awaiting her "call")

Heather said...

There is much grief and much happiness that surrounds a gift like this. I wish peace to the family of the donor - knowing that their loved one made such a gift. I wish joy to Natalia and her family for the added years that this gift has brought. Our medical community is full of miracle workers. Congratulations Natalia.

Sanda said...

What amazing and wonderful news to read to start off this week! I am so thrilled for Natalia and her family and also very sorry for the loss that the donor's family has experienced. What a miracle.

Julia said...

Thanks for such a detailed update. So many of us have been worried and wondering.

Natalia, your hope, courage and perseverance are such an inspiration. You have given me a renewed belief that miracles do come true.

To the donor and their family, what an incredible gift you were able to give. May you find peace in knowing that a part of your loved one lives on in an incredible person who will never take it for granted. My thoughts are with you during this time.

To Natalia's family, I am so happy for all of you. You all must be so exhausted caring for babies and eachother and Natalia. My thoughts are with all of you. A special note to Natalia's mom, you are giving your daughter the best gift possible by taking such good care of her daughter. I'm sure this has helped Nat so much and will continue to as she continues to fight and recover.

God bless all of you.

Keep up the great work Natalia. There are tons of positive thoughts and prayers being sent to you.

Carole said...

Thank you for the update Myles (and so well written I must say). This is all great stuff...I'll continue to keep Natalia and her "team" in my prayers and thoughts...keep up the great work everyone! You are all incredible.

Carole Varin

Adam-Caroline said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Melanie said...

Such a wonderful gift, that is absolutely priceless. Continued thoughts and prayers for your family, as well as Natalia's medical team.

MyLifeMyWorld said...

WOW, just wow, your update leaves me speechless (well not quite) and in tears, eyes swelled tears.

That is such great news, I am so happy for all of you, and am amazed by the love and committment you all have for Nat as a family. You are all an inspiration.

Nat, hang in there, your through to the other side, it truley is a miracle that the call came when it did, but you made it, and can overcome this portion too.

For the family who donated, you are in my thoughts as well. Your gift is immeasurable, and wonderful and amazing and I wish you peace and healing and love to surround you during this time of sorrow.

Thank you so much for the update, thank you so much for inspiring me to be a better person.