Friday, October 23, 2009

more of the good stuff...

Much has happened during the last few days, and all have been good. Really good. I have been tired as a result, but the kind of tired I can handle. The kind of tired that a nap with the Bi-pap can help and some rest. My lungs have been doing much better, as the combination of IV antibiotics as well as steroids have really been doing their job. Phew. I know, I know, I have to stop doing that. I am always amazed at the ability for my body to bounce back and somehow do 'better'. I certainly feel stronger and am glad for various reasons, one being I know that undergoing such major surgery when I am stronger is better. Simple as that. I also am just so thankful for the break. I just really needed this break. For the battles ahead.

So, the good stuff. The CBC interview went well. I was a little nervous, and stumbled over my words more than I would if the camera was not there, but hey, I'm certainly not made to be on TV! But the staff were awesome, and made me feel really great about the whole process. Nick and Ed, you guys were really amazing! I look forward to the story unfolding and for you to help us document such an incredible time in my life. Generally throughout the interview I kept my cool. I only cried once when talking about being away from Scarlett. That's the only sore spot I have. Everything else such as life expectancy, transplant, the surgery, suffering, illness....that's stuff I can handle. I've lived it so long, I can talk about it. But missing Scarlett, having to leave her behind at home, well anyone can understand that being an emotional thing to talk about. But I was not too bad. It wasn't ugly crying though, nothing like that.

So CBC guys, I can't wait to work with you again as my story unfolds. I feel super lucky to have this opportunity!

I also had the huge, HUGE, super HUGE privilege to meet and get interviewed by Barbara Turnbull of the Toronto Star. She's writing an article about me, that I will be sure to let everyone know about once it's out. We think it's running this weekend, on Saturday. But I will post a link for those who don't get the Star, or read the Star, or of course for those who don't live in the area. Barb is a special lady. She's a gifted reporter, but for those that live in the city, we know the amazing story that is her life. To make a long story short, in 1983 Barb, as an 18 year old teen working her part time job at the local convenience store, was shot in the back during a robbery. Within minutes her life had changed, and she had become a quadriplegic, paralyzed from the neck down. The story changed how the city viewed violence, and the innocence of the city. I was very young when it happened, but when you ask people over the age of 35, they remember the shooting well. It was a huge deal in Toronto. Barb was amazing to talk to. We connected right off the bat. Her working dog Bella was a special treat, sitting with me on the hospital bed as Barb conducted the interview. Her outlook on life, what she's been able to achieve, and the way that she dealt with and continues to deal with her disability is amazing to me. A really strong woman that will tell my story well, I have faith in that. Barb gave me her book to read, that told her story, and I have been so captivated by it. What an amazing life, what an amazing way to look at life. I cannot wait to read the article that she writes. I would encourage anyone to pick up her book "Looking in the Mirror", it is incredibly powerful and encouraging.

So I feel like I have been given all these gifts. All these encouraging signs. With my feeling stronger I can handle the wait better. It's not so scary, not so now or never. The doctors and the team are confident it will be any day now. I realize that this confidence comes strictly from good will, no concrete ability to know when it will actually come, but it gives me hope, makes me confident that it really will be any day now. And if it is a bit of a wait still, well, as long as I can maintain feeling this stable, I can take it.

Lastly, what I wanted to post before I rest, today I had a great visit with Scarlett. She was amazing. She came in and my doctor got to meet her, which was great, as well as some of the nurses. They all loved her, but common, she's easily lovable!! So plump and delicious!! She came in wearing some of her winter clothes. Amazingly cute. My mom got this video of her and I 'talking' and I think it's the best video from the facebook series yet. I hope I can figure out how to post it, because I know it will make everyone out there smile!

Lastly, I want to continue to thank everyone for your emails of support. Martin gets many too, and he sends them to me, and each and every one makes me cry. Many of you say that you feel silly reaching out to Martin or me, since you are either strangers or have not been in touch for many many years (sometimes decades) but I want to make sure that no one feels silly. I certainly only feel comforted and loved by the support. I find that when times are hard, knowing that there are people out there thinking of you and your family is sometimes the push that you need to get through it all. So, once again, thank you everyone. My old friends, new friends, Martin's old friends, friends of friends, family friends, strangers, we love you guys. Keep them coming. They are helping I assure you!!

4 comments:

Kellee said...

Thanks for the video!! It made me smile =)

Im so very glad you have had a good few days and your the good kinda tired!! I pray for many more good days!!

Michal Ann said...

It's so wonderful to hear that so many things are going well. You poured out your tears to God like David (Ps. 69:3) " I have wept until I am exhausted; my throat is dry and hoarse; my eyes are swollen with weeping, waiting for my God to act."

"Weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning." Psalm 30:5

I'm rejoicing with you in this morning time! Thank you for all the goodness share so generously! You and the family will continue to be in my prayers. "We" took a walk together tonight!

In God's love and grace, Michal

sandy said...

It's amazing, isn't it Natalie, how much love and support there is out there even from strangers. We had the same experience while waiting for Matt's transplant from people we had never known.

I remember the Barbara Turnbull story as if it were yesterday, what an inspiration this women is.

What a beautiful video, I'm sure it is so difficult for you to be away from your angel right now but this part of your life will all be behind you soon and you'll have each and everyday to enjoy your little beauty.

Sarah Andrews said...

It brings such joy to my heart to read that you are having better days. Congrats on CBC and on your star article. I can't wait to see and read them. You are amazing lady and I loved Scarlett's video (well all of them). Just beautiful.