So there she is. Out little girl. How much do you love that picture huh? Martin and I think she's just perfect, and we have not met her yet.The day at Mt.Sinai was all that we could have asked for. Beth was able to make great time getting to Toronto, and I was able to get a day pass to leave the hospital to go to the appointment. Beth arrived at our house first (since it's up town, and much easier to get to from the 401) and then her and Martin drove downtown to get me from St.Mike's. From there the 3 of us went to Mt.Sinai.
When we arrived we got Beth checked in and filled out the paper work that was required. During that time we had a visit from Martin's dad who is an OB on that floor. It was a nice visit, and it was great for him to meet Beth. He was very impressed by her, and later told us that she seemed like a great lady!! And he's SO right!!
We then went to have the ultrasound. Our technician was the nicest lady you could ever, EVER ask for. She seemed excited and was more than willing to write down the gender for us on a card, and not reveal it to us at the appointment. We then started to peek into the world of our little baby. We saw her little feet, and hands, and nose. It was so amazing I cannot describe it in words. Everything that was negative in me (from the past hard week that I have had at St.Mike's) left my body, to be replaced by such an outpouring of love that words cannot describe. Martin and I watched in awe. She seemed so perfect, and she looked so healthy and strong.
Our little girl of course did not want to reveal her gender to us!! Our technician checked and checked. An hour passed by, and she called another technician to help her look at the pictures. They were only about 70% sure, and wanted to be 100% before we left. At that time, we kept telling her it's no problem, we'll get the 3D ultrasound soon so we'll make sure we know the gender for sure. We felt so bad for keeping her. But she insisted. So Beth went to the washroom, and we tried again. This time our technician was sure, she said. She printed out three pictures that we liked, wrote the gender on our card without us seeing, and we were on our way to the OB appointment.
The doctor that we saw was the same one that I saw about 2 years ago for a pre-pregnancy consultation. Dr.Sermer is a great guy, aside from being a great doctor. He made us laugh, and was very supportive of our decision to use Beth to have our baby. I know that him and I had a long appointment those years ago, and he was very clear about the risks that I would be taking on carrying my own baby. But he was willing to help me either way. I value him for that.
Dr.Sermer went through all the regular information with us. Everything looked good, and we spoke about how we would be having this baby. We decided to induce at 39 weeks, to ensure (the best we could) that we would have our little girl in Toronto. (to the best of our ability) We are all so happy with that plan. Hopefully that little girl of ours will co-operate!! But we shall see.
We left Mt.Sinai in good spirits. Martin and I went back to the house and made sure that Beth was okay to go back home. We parted by me promising Beth that I would call her later and tell her what we were having. I know she was so curious, and I love her for letting us have our own moment before she knew. It really shows her spirit to us.
Martin and I were very curious to open our little envelope. It was this great surprise hiding in my pocket book. I could not wait!! We ended up going to our favourite sushi place close to our house. I had a few hours left before I was due back at St.Mike's so it was a great opportunity for me to eat real food!! So we ordered our Sushi and sat there ready to find out what we were having. We had the card ready to be opened, so that we could both see it. We were SO excited, but didn't want to open it in a hurry, since it was such a fun experience. On the count of 3 we opened the card. I yelled out in joy, "It's a girl!!!!???" and I think Martin said the same thing. I started to cry right off the bat. I felt so lucky, so privileged. I don't know why, but I did. I was beside myself with joy. I kept saying...a girl....we're having a girl....It was a shock. The greatest shock of my life!!
Over the next hour we chatted about it all. Who she would be, what she would look like...it was amazing. To talk about our daughter. It was great.
I went back to the hospital the next hour, so happy. I was ready to take on the world. I was ready to fight CF with more vigour. I have always heard parents say that children give them energy and strength. Well it looks like our little girl has done that already. Before she has come into this world, she has given her mom more than anyone else has ever given her, the strength to persevere.
Martin and I have decided on a name, but are not telling anyone. We want to introduce her using her name once she is here, not sooner. I cannot wait for that day in July when she is home with us.


9 comments:
I'm sure you'll remember that dinner for a long time! It's wonderful to hear the emotion in your writing. Congratulations again!
The ultrasound picture is beautiful. I just love her dainty little nose and chin!
beautiful. really beautiful.
She is absolutely perfect.
keep fighting, we'll keep you in our prayers!
CONGRATS, I loved your post today, so filled with emotion. I'm glad your experience with the u/s lady was a positive one and she was willing to work so hard to find the sex and write it down for you.
A girl, a daughter, how amazing is that!!!
She is PRECIOUS!!! How wonderful! So happy for you!
She is definitely beautiful. How can we tell? We've seen our own baby and KNOW!!!! :-)
Cant wait to see the 3D - you guys are in for a VERY cool experience! Make sure you bring tissues!!!! (and make sure you take the WHOLE package offered - if they offer one!!)
Wow Nat - She is a gorgeous little baby - what a perfect profile! You must be so thrilled = and you totally KNEW too which is even cooler. We are so connected to our little ones.
You need to get yourself feeling better and out of the hospital. The weather is warming up which means spring is on the way and cold and flu season will be on it's way out.
Hugs and love.
Beautiful photo!! :) And what a beautiful moment for you and your husband - what a great way to find out!
I hope you feeling better soon!
Oh wow!! What a beautiful post!! She is gorgeous.. you can already tell.. that's amazing.
The moment you guys had is so touching. I'm so happy for you both!!
Congrats on your baby girl! I love how you found out. I hope you feel better soon.
Post a Comment